Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Rainy Day

Christmas coop ~ not a chicken in sight
We have had a large cold front move into our desert, and the last two days have seen nothing but dripping skies (although the sun is trying to peek through this morning). The girls have been confined to the coop, with scurries into the run when the rain temporarily subsides. I have to say I did the same thing, waiting for a pause between drops before trips into the garden for salad greens and to visit the coop to tidy up and freshen the water.

But I love this weather, and what a perfect day to stay cozy inside. I have been taking my time in decorating the house ~ I am keeping it simple, fresh and handmade this year, and it's my belief that simplicity does not hurry. (And in my case, neither does handmade!) We did forgo our large and small artificial trees this year for one small fresh one, which we placed in our keeping room off the kitchen as this is where we spend most of our time and where we gather with our friends and family. In the other rooms, I have placed boughs of cedar and pine, and a little goes a long way.

Over the weekend I gathered some things growing in the gardens to make potpourri and garlands, as well. I have pomegranates (both large and ornamental), which are perfect for placing in bowls with dried oranges from the trees and cinnamon/clove ornaments made with an antique cookie cutter. Today, I will make pomanders with my lemons studded with cloves, and Thursday I will string my garlands. By focusing more on the "let Heaven and nature sing" part of the holiday and less of the "ho, ho, ho," we can enjoy all of these things throughout our winter season and beyond. With only one small tree to pack up and put away, it doesn't get any more simple than that.

I hope you are enjoying this season of Advent. Peace and plenty to all of you!

2 comments:

barbara said...

Lovely post, Joy! Wonderful sentiment. :)

Beehive Needleworks said...

Absolutely delightful Joy! When I close my eyes and sit quietly, I am able to grasp the lovely aroma of spice and boughs. Yummm...

Wishing happiness to one and all...

Fondly,
Judy